[DCRM-L] New Terms for RBMS Controlled Vocabularies

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Thu Feb 12 14:36:09 MST 2015

Top of the head responses:

Manicules: ​Since most people would use one of the UF terms, and there are
so many of them, I suppose it makes sense to favor no one and use a term
that practically nobody knew previously ...
​

​Registers: These are commonly called ​"ribbon markers", which should at
least be a UF. Again, this seems to favor a rather esoteric term. (I've
never heard or read "finding ribbon", but I suppose it was out in the wild
somewhere for someone to wrangle it in.)

Damaged printing plates: As either a UF, or as a counter-proposal, "Plate
damage", since that's the term one would normally use in citing such
evidence. Since the full term, as entered, would be "Plate damage
(Printing)", I don't think there'd be any ambiguity.

That said, how good to be able to point a finger at (maniculate?) all these
things. Many thanks to the CV Editorial Group.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>

On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Carpenter, Jane <
jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu> wrote:

>  Dear Colleagues,
>
> The terms listed below—6 vocabulary terms and 1 relationship
> designator—were proposed by members of the rare materials community, and
> discussed at the Midwinter meeting of the Controlled Vocabularies Editorial
> Group.
>
> The editors are now soliciting comments on the draft scope notes they
> prepared, in order to capitalize on the expertise and experience of
> librarians and bibliophiles who may be familiar with these terms.
>
> *PLEASE SEND ALL COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS FOR EDITS OR REVISIONS TO THE CV
> EDITORIAL GROUP AT: *
> *​​jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu* <jfcarpenter at library.ucla.edu>
>

> *Term:*
> *Manicules (Provenance evidence): *
>
> *Thesaurus:*
> Provenance evidence
>
> *SN:* Use for small manuscript hands with one or more pointing fingers
> used to draw attention to the text.
>
> *UF:*
> Fists
> Index fingers