[DCRM-L] almanac dating and fixed fields

Sat Jul 11 09:55:03 MDT 2015

Here's what STC (2nd ed.) says about it (v. 1, p. 15):

"The year for which the almanacks were calculated ordinarily serves both as title and as imprint date. Though printing usually took place during the preceding autumn, such imprint or colophon dates as do occur are generally the same as the year of calculation. Where differences have been observed, they are noted, e.g. 443.7 [in which the colophon is dated the preceding year than the title page]"

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of JOHN LANCASTER
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2015 2:37 PM
To: DCRM Revision List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] almanac dating and fixed fields

In every case I’m aware of from the 18th century, where there is documentation in the form of advertisements or inscriptions with a date of purchase, almanacs were available for sale (and thus I would argue, published) in the year preceding that for which they were designed.  I would need clear evidence that publication was delayed until the year of use to accept that as a publication date.  Almanacs printed by the Bowyers were usually printed several months before the year’s end, sometimes even as early as August.  It’s hard to imagine that they would be embargoed until January 1.

Just because we ignore such evidence in modern books (because it’s easier to do so?) doesn’t make it correct.

John Lancaster