[DCRM-L] Double leaves

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 14:54:31 MDT 2015

My comments were intended only to reflect DCRM(B) instructions (as I
understand them):

5B9.1: Leaves or pages of plates: "... Count a plate folded and bound at
the inner margin as two leaves of plates ..."

In practice, I do remember situations where I had two copies of a book that
had the same "big plate" bound differently in each copy (i.e., as a double
plate bound down the center in one copy and as a folded plate bound along
one edge in another copy). I just tried to figure out the best I could how
the book had been issued or, failing that, how the plate was bound in most
copies, and used that as the basis for my 300 field. Then in notes I'd
"explain" the situation and the differences between copies.

And yes, if the plates are numbered, I think you will sometimes have to
correct the statement of extent. The publisher will not necessarily be
numbering anything in accordance with the requirements of a particular
cataloging code. The physical number of "leaves or pages of plates" may not
necessarily reflect the number of images depicted (the content).

It always made sense to me that the way something is described in the 300
$a would depend in large part upon its binding (as issued), while the 300$b
would be the place for recording the details of the illustrative content:

[2] leaves of plates : 1 map
Note: Map of Tennessee on a double plate.

vs.

[1] folded leaf of plates : 1 map
Note: Map of Tennessee on folded plate.

But it does get tricky, especially because it can be so difficult to
determine how something was issued (or even if it was issued in a
consistent way). But that problem applies to many things in the physical
description, not just plates.

RDA makes an even bigger distinction than AACR2 does between content and
carrier. But I guess it will be up to the DCRM2 group to decide how to
interpret these things going forward.

I think there could be a whole BSC seminar on the topic of plates,
preferably one with plenty of illustrative images! Maybe better guidance
could be provided on how to word explanatory notes to make things as clear
as possible.

Here are some examples I found in LC's catalog:

http://lccn.loc.gov/86675228
[4], 51, [1] p., [40] leaves of plates : 20 maps (engravings) ; 29 cm.
(fol.)
The 20 maps, unsigned, and drawn at different scales, are each printed on a
bifolium (in LC copy attached to a stub to form a double plate), with
explanatory letterpress on the reverse. The bifolia are "signed" in
direction-line position 1-7, 9, 9, 10-13, [14], 15-20.

http://lccn.loc.gov/01013019
[8], 60, 420 p., [2] leaves of plates : map ; 27 cm. (fol.)
Map is a double plate.

http://lccn.loc.gov/85229409
[3] leaves, 100 [i.e. 102] leaves of plates : all ill. (etchings) ; 34 cm.
Brunet and Graesse list 5 states of the plate used as t.p. That information
plus a descriptive list of all 100 plates in the work is in: Le
peintre-graveur français / A.P.F. Robert-Dumesnil. VI, 176-188.
Plates 87 and 100 are double.

http://lccn.loc.gov/02030239
[6], 268, 10 p., [2] leaves of plates : port. ; 17 cm. (8vo)
LC copy is a made-up copy, from 3 different editions. The title page is
from the first edition, 2nd or 3rd issue; the text is that of Madan 24, but
wanting the "Reasons"; and the portrait is a double plate (signed Guil:
Marshall sculpsit), and appears to be from a third edition, and is without
the explanation of the plate. Cf. Francis F. Madan. A new bibliography of
the Eikon basilike of King Charles the First ... Oxford : Oxford
Bibliographical Society, 1950.

Manon