[DCRM-L] Almanac dating

Tue Jul 14 11:34:49 MDT 2015

We do at the Folger. The 046 is indexed in both our local Voyager catalog and in Connexion.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Nipps, Karen
Sent: Tuesday, 14 July 2015 13:29
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: [DCRM-L] Almanac dating

Sorry for not replying sooner - I have been trying to determine if a bib record's 046 subfield c is indexed in our local catalog. (I haven't gotten an answer to that yet!) I certainly like the idea though - is anyone else using the 046 to provide access to incorrect dates?

I completely agree with what John is saying. (By the same token, I empathize with Bob's practical sentiments, which are certainly in keeping with the RDA philosophy of taking what one has as copy.) I am inclined to keep the question mark though. I don't think it is a good idea to pose as an assertion something for which I don't have absolute proof. And I do know occasional instances of almanacs being printed in the same year as that for which they are issued - not to mention two years prior :)

I would also argue that choosing one bibliography as an authority (no matter how good it is) is somewhat subjective. I see that AAS always dates their almanacs one year prior to issuance.

Karen Nipps
Head, Rare Book Team
Houghton Library
Harvard University