[DCRM-L] DCRMB vs BSR rda/dcrmb

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Jul 17 08:02:27 MDT 2015

I realize you were simply making an honest inquiry and aren't trying to sow the seeds of dissent, Will, so don't worry about that.

I'd also like to point out that non-BIBCO libraries can follow the BSR if they like; I think it's a good enumeration of the most important things we need to convey to our users in our bibliographic records, so as a guide to the baseline of what *should* be in a record it's a good standard. As the BSR itself points out, it is meant only as a floor--once you've included the elements required by the BSR you are free to add other elements you think enhance the record's usefulness to our users. I encourage everyone to at least familiarize yourselves with the BSR and consider whether it might not be worth adopting in your own cataloging.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568