[DCRM-L] DCRM(M) questions

Nancy Lorimer nlorimer at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 8 13:42:02 MDT 2015

Hi all,

There is a week left to be sure, but I haven't received any real
feedback as yet. I thought I might start things going by addressing my
first general question, based on the following comment from the
CC:DA/MLA task force.

DCRM(M) and RDA:

It is our understanding that as of January 1, 2015, BIBCO catalogers are
no longer allowed to use a non­RDA compliant standard for new
BIBCO­authenticated cataloging.  The BSRs for individual material types
have been combined into a single /PCC RDA BIBCO Standard Record (BSR)
Metadata Application Profile/4 /, /with guidelines that provide for the
combination of RDA and the other published DCRM modules.

We are glad to learn that rare music provisions have already been
included in the BSR, and that the description conventions code dcrmm has
been established in advance of the publication of DCRM(M). It is our
understanding that BIBCO­authenticated records can thus be coded as both
RDA and DCRM(M) compliant, as is the case with the other published DCRM
modules, and that this option is available for non­BIBCO records as
well. While this was not the case at the time of publication of the
other modules, the DCRM(M) text has the opportunity to indicate that
catalogers will have these options. Therefore we recommend that this
situation be discussed with the PCC Standing Committee on Standards, and
suggest further clarification in DCRM(M) instructions on the possible
combination of rules and conventions. This impacts the Introduction
(specifically II.1? X.1.3? footnote 4), Appendix A, and Appendix B1.3.

/My question./ We have the note agreed upon when the Graphics volume was
published: "The relationship between the DCRM manuals and RDA is
evolving. Current guidelines and other information can be found on the
RBMS website at
<http://rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/rda/dcrm-rda-html>."
<http://rbms.info/committees/bibliographic_standards/dcrm/rda/dcrm-rda-html>

Should we keep this or consider a change as suggested above? Whichever
way, I will note that the link does not work anymore. It should
be:http://rbms.info/dcrm/rda/

thanks
Nancy

--