[DCRM-L] Awkward signing

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Sat Jun 13 09:00:59 MDT 2015

I’d be grateful for suggestion of the appropriate way to deal with this situation.

The 1487 Brescia Dante is signed:

&^8 a-i^8 K^6 l-r^8 aa-mm^8 nn^4 A^6 B^8 C-L^8.

That is, the gathering that one would expect to be signed “k” has a capital “K” on all three signed leaves.

How can this best be represented so that a reference to a leaf signed with “K” is unambiguous?

Can the “k” gathering be recorded as “K[i.e. k]^6”, with an explanatory note?  Or, as I’ve seen elsewhere, just as “k^6” with a note that all three signed leaves are “mis-signed K”?

There may be no really satisfactory way to do this in abbreviated form.  But given that “k” is often a problem for early printers, this may not be a unique case. (I’ve seen “l” plus “round r” used as a substitute, but that’s easily dealt with.)

Thanks.

John Lancaster