[DCRM-L] Question on blank-paper ephemera in books

Laurence S. Creider lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu
Thu Jun 18 13:32:11 MDT 2015

Kate,
I am normally in favor of preserving ephemera associated with books, but I
am a bit stumped here.  What is the purpose of preserving the paper?

My question would be what is this blank piece of paper evidence of or for?
Sometimes I use blank pieces of paper (or restaurant receipts) to mark my
place in a book that I am reading, sometimes to mark the index or notes
when I find I am making frequent reference to them as I read the book.
When I finish the book, I may just put the paper anywhere in the book or
just throw it out.  I frequently put pieces of paper in books or journals
in which I am photocopying pages (I know, old-fashioned).  I might insert
a piece of paper to indicate something I want to share or to quote in a
talk or even to find again.  With the exception of the photocopying, any
of these purposes might have motivated someone from the time of printing
forward.  While the type and condition of the blank paper may give me some
idea of when the book was read, that will usually only be narrowed to a
century or so unless a watermark is present.  Once there is writing, even
probationes pennae, the matter changes, of course.

I will be interested to hear what others can teach me about this.

Thanks,
Larry

--
Laurence S. Creider
Head, Archives and Special Collections Dept.
lcreider at lib.nmsu.edu