[DCRM-L] Double leaves

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Jun 30 14:53:42 MDT 2015

Double leaves intended to function as such, and to be bound as here
described (whether or not the binding is correct in a given copy) are worth
this degree of special attention--they may be an issue point (=evidence of
variant manifestation), most likely as taken together with other evidence,
but still ...

Under caption "Beating Dead Horse": It simply isn't appropriate to refer to
letterpress leaves as "plates"; it's one of the fundamental principles of
bibliographical analysis. I would have  no trouble with "[2] folded
letterpress leaves" in the 300 field--where explicit "letterpress" acts as
a confirmation that the leaves are *not* plates. I'd go so far (self irony)
as to concede that *inserted* relief illustrations could be referred to as
plates (leaves or pages), even though they may have been printed in the
same operation. On the other hand, I suppose general use of "plates" makes
less of a demand on cataloger knowledge/judgment where a complete inventory
of physical bits is of principal concern.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>