[DCRM-L] CV question

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 4 15:15:16 MST 2015

Hello,

I recently came across something in a book I haven't seen before: printed
descriptions of the book meant to be excised and pasted onto library
catalog cards.

The book is Our familiar songs and those who made them. New York : Henry
Holt and company, 1889.

The text printed on the preliminary leaf begins: "Slips for Librarians to
paste on Catalogue Cards. N.B.--Take out carefully, leaving about quarter
of an inch at the back. To do otherwise would, in some cases, release other
leaves." This is followed by the text for for 5 cards, for author, title, a
variant title and two subject entries.

>From the description and signing pattern, I take this to be an integral
leaf. I imagine some copies might have only a stub suggesting that this
leaf was removed. Or, perhaps this was a separate issue distributed to
libraries and this text wasn't included in all copies?  I have a copy of
the Holt 1881 edition which has a blank preliminary in this place.

It does seem to be an interesting case, but I'm not sure how best to
describe it, nor can I find an obvious term in the controlled vocabularies.
I'll consider proposing one if needed. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger