[DCRM-L] more PCC rare materials BSR/CSR questions (RDA

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Mar 13 17:35:28 MDT 2015

I agree also, but I want to STONGLY urge whoever is writing up the BSR section on this that it be made clear that "core" does NOT mean you have to fill out all the missing pieces of information. The revision to RDA was meant to clarify that you do not need to do things like this:

264 _1   $a Venundatur Parrhisiis in vico Sancti Jacobi : $b ab Alexandro Aliatte e regione diui Benedicti, $c [1505]
264 _3   $a [Place of manufacture not identified] : $b Impressus impensis Alexandri Aliatt[a]e, $c vltima Martij MDV [1505 March 31]

or

264 _1 $a Burbank, CA : $b Turner Entertainment, $c [2009]
264 _2 $a [Place of distribution not identified] : $b Warner Home Video, $c [date of distribution not identified]

Once you're fully filled out the publication elements (i.e. what goes in 264 _1 $a, $b, and $c) the core is fulfilled as far as RDA is concerned, so all those "... not identified" elements are not required even if you do want to record information about the distributor or manufacturer. You only need to record what's there on the resource, not "filler" elements for missing information.

The feeling that all these "... not identified" elements for distribution and manufacture were required was part of the "cascading vortex of horror" issue that the 2015 RDA revision was meant to rectify, so let's not reintroduce them with a core requirement that implies that they are required after all. All we want to say is "if information about distribution or manufacture is present in the resource, record it." At least I should think that's all we want to require. We do not need to require filling out elements that are not present in the resource (the "... not identified" elements), simply to "fully" fill out a 264 field. The following are acceptable and much preferable in my opinion:

264 _1   $a Venundatur Parrhisiis in vico Sancti Jacobi : $b ab Alexandro Aliatte e regione diui Benedicti, $c [1505]
264 _3   $b Impressus impensis Alexandri Aliatt[a]e, $c vltima Martij MDV [1505 March 31]

or

264 _1 $a Burbank, CA : $b Turner Entertainment, $c [2009]
264 _2 $b Warner Home Video

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568