[DCRM-L] hand coloring and new descriptions

Manon Theroux manon.theroux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:20:53 MDT 2015

Francis,

I'd like to ask some follow-up questions, so I can be clear on the group's
thinking and its recommendation for changes to the DCRM(C) draft.

Will the the DCRM2 group be keeping the existing DCRM default approach that
"a separate bibliographic record will be created for each bibliographic
variant that represents ... an "issue" in bibliographic scholarship"? And
that this decision (on resources known to have been issued both colored and
uncolored) simply represents an exception to the general approach, made for
pragmatic reasons given that uncolored copies may have been colored at a
later date by their owners?

What would the 300 $b look like for a single bibliographic record
representing a resource issued both colored and uncolored? I'm assuming
color would not be indicated there, but thought I should confirm.

If you have a hand-colored item and evidence suggests that all copies were
issued with the hand-coloring (e.g. you have a map with a legend indicating
the colors used to portray different kinds of information), I assume the
bibliographic record would have color indicated in 300 $b?

If you have a hand-colored item and you are simply not sure if all copies
were issued with the hand-coloring or not, will you have an "in case of
doubt" instruction for 300 $b that applies across the board for all
resource types? As I indicated before, maps with hand-coloring are
extremely common so this is an important question for us. The DCRM(C)
instructions have also been influenced to some extent by Cartographic
Materials (CM), which specifies using "hand col." in 300 $b for
hand-colored maps.

Thanks,
-Manon