[DCRM-L] hand coloring and new descriptions

Mon Mar 16 19:46:01 MDT 2015

Ah, I begin to see the problem.

Would it make sense to provide different default provisions based on whether the hand-coloring follows printed lines?

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Manon Theroux
Sent: Monday, 16 March 16 2015 18:47
To: DCRM Users' Group
Cc: Chet Van Duzer
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] hand coloring and new descriptions

MT: If you have a hand-colored item and evidence suggests that all copies were issued with the hand-coloring (e.g. you have a map with a legend indicating the colors used to portray different kinds of information), I assume the bibliographic record would have color indicated in 300 $b?
FL: The task force did not discuss this situation (unless I dozed for that bit), but I believe your assumption is correct: we would indicate color in 300 $b.
[DJL: ] Legends with instructions about hand-coloring do not provide evidence that all copies of a map were issued hand-colored, so once again, a cataloger will not know whether the hand-colored map in hand was issued that way by the publisher.
MT: This is the sort of legend I'm talking about:
http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/s/oj48v2
Personally, I would consider the "Erklärung der Farben" to be enough evidence to assume that the item had been issued with the hand-coloring. The map simply wouldn't make sense without the color - it needs the color for informational purposes to show what it claims to be showing. It seems rather doubtful to me that it would have been issued without it.

DJ: I'm copying Chet Van Duzer on this conversation; he's traveling at present but may be able to add something in due time. He is an historian of medieval and renaissance maps, one of the organizers of the Paint Over Print conference, and the presenter of the paper on his census of hand-colored maps in the 1513 Ptolemy. He will have more precise information about current research on hand-coloring.
MT: That would be welcome, of course! But let's also keep in mind that the DCRM rules are intended to cover special collections materials from any time period, not just the medieval and renaissance eras. It is my understanding that hand-coloring in, say, a 19th-century atlas, is very likely to have been issued that way by the publisher (often having been applied by women or children in a factory or other production-line environment, sometimes using stencils for improved speed and accuracy).
Manon