[DCRM-L] Citing VIAF

Thu Mar 26 15:56:53 MDT 2015

Yes, that's right. When we discovered that certain libraries were using controlled vocabulary for occupations, we decided to transcribe instead of translate, as you say, for "a check on the cataloger's linguistic judgement."

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Noble, Richard
Sent: Thursday, 26 March 2015 16:15
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Citing VIAF

My thanks to Andrea Cawelti and (as ever) to Deborah Leslie. Both approaches are more elegant than my "throw it all into a bag" approach generally has been. I'm of two minds regarding e.g. "DNB" v. "Deutsche Nationalbibliothek", but both have their virtues; and I do like to append $u at the end, especially when a resource comes with a permalink, as VIAF does.

Interesting that Folger records information in the original language ("Verleger, Publizist"), which I suppose is fine for domestic consumption if a 374 field is included in the record--better in that case, really, since it provides a check on the cataloger's linguistic judgement.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br<mailto:RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu<http://own.edu>>