[DCRM-L] FW: VIAF question from rare book cataloger

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Mon Mar 30 10:38:57 MDT 2015

Colleagues, I checked in with OCLC's in-house NACO liaison about this. The bottom line is that LC prefers that all questions go directly to NACO at loc.gov. This ensures that PCC staff (NACO is a a PCC program) are kept aware of any training needs, changes in personnel, program improvement possibilities, etc.

That said: VIAF is a reliable source for authority work, and NACO participants are encouraged to use it. You also have the option of entering a person's VIAF ID number into field 024 http://www.loc.gov/marc/authority/ad024.html of authority records.  You can see an example on ARN: 1815445.

She also mentioned that the handbook of examples that Karen Smith-Yoshimura cited is from the NACO-Music Project and therefore correct for any NACO Participant to follow.

Cheers- Jackie

--
Jackie Dooley
Program Officer, OCLC Research