[DCRM-L] item-specific notes: RDA 2.21 and 3.22

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Wed May 6 09:09:01 MDT 2015

[*Warning: Obiter Dicta ahead.*]

I'm leery of "tighter semantic scope" as an end in itself, though I
recognize that what we're really talking about may just be proper tagging
of information related to various aspects of an individual book; but one
must not fall into the trap of putting the communication format ahead of
communication.

I'm arguing backwards, of course, since what immediately concerns me is the
imposition of tight semantic compartmentalization on item-level rapportage,
based on a model developed for communicating manifestation-level--and
manifestation defining--evidence, which may itself become circumstantially
problematic. Maintaining the distinction between "physical attributes" and
"signs" for its own sake may become counter-productive when the real effort
called for is that of developing the evidence necessary to reconstruct the
physical processes that put the signs in place, that manifested the
manifestation, so to speak, and even to make the necessary distinctions
between manifestation (issue, basically), state, and copy-level phenomena.

These things are frequently confused in records that I encounter (and often
must refashion) every day, masked by a show of adherence to semantic
compartmentalization that excuses, because it *looks* like a good job, a
lack of the knowledge by which one can understand and communicate what
these bits of evidence evidence, or don't evidence. It can sometimes
replace the art of seeing a thing with painting by numbers.

Again, I'm not sure that I'm responding to this thread in particular. But I
do see in it a further hint that RDA is having a very bad influence on
catalogers--and even frustrating the purposes of FRBR, our first foray into
truly bibliographical cataloging--in the way that it leads us down garden
paths of ever greater triviality, false distinction, and neglect of the
bibliographical narrative that justifies our work especially, that crazy
combination of philology and industrial archaeology, the history of saying
and making.

In short, I don't want to see yet another area where I know what I want to
say, but rules do get in the way.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>