[DCRM-L] Help with format of 1674 Rouen edition of Juvenal and Persius

Jessica Grzegorski grzegorskij at newberry.org
Wed May 13 12:08:06 MDT 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I am cataloging an unrecorded edition of Juvenal and Persius with a pattern of signatures that I have not before encountered.  The signatures alternate between 8s, 4s, and 6s throughout. The chain lines are vertical, and a watermark appears on the second leaf of each quire in 4s in the middle of the inner edge of the leaf. The trimmed text block measures 10.6 cm. The signatures are as follows: A-M^8.4.6 N^8 O^4 P^2.

The format of this book is mystifying to me.  After consulting Gaskell and Bowers, I could only guess that this book is a long 12mo but I am very unsure. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in determining the format, whether you are readily able to identify it or could point me to additional reference sources.

The bibliographic information of the book follows:

Junii Iuvenalis et A. Persii satyrae.
Rothomagi : Apud Petrum Amiot, propè Collegium, MDCLXXIV [1674]

All my best,
Jessica

Jessica Grzegorski
Principal Cataloging Librarian