[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Rouse, Lenore rouse at cua.edu
Thu May 14 10:08:46 MDT 2015

Will et al.,

We ARE users but many of the people making decisions about our work are
not. I see two similar trends which nobody has mentioned yet, which do
or will obscure or obliterate bibliographical difference as badly as
ditching those IRs. One is a tendency in large libraries or consortia to
merge bib records for "the same" title. In the case of certain
consortia, this will mean dispatching all local notes to the holdings
record while merging all the stuff that belongs in the bib record. The
devil will be in distinguishing the local from the general note. You all
know it's not always possible to determine whether the cancel or other
feature in your copy is present in every copy.  Even if you can separate
out the local info from the general (including 655s, 7xxs who is going
to want to look at local notes for multiple holding institutions when
they are parked in the holding record and not near related info in the
bib record? Not my idea of user-friendly. How will the important
information in the local notes even be searched if it is no longer part
of the bib record? That should theoretically be possible, though it's
not clear to me that the makers of the feudal business model are
concerned with such minutiae.  Some of them seem to believe fewer
records are cheaper than more records; it's rumored to be a great
cost-savings to copy catalogers.

Another aspect of this merge mentality just came to my notice last week.
I discovered that WorldCat may stealthily merge all editions of a title
without letting the user know. Example: my search was for _Loss and
gain_ by J. H. Newman, ed. by Sheridan Gilley. The search retrieved
quite a slew of hits, including a local one I was not aware of. But next
to the results is a disclaimer "Show libraries holding _just_ this
edition or narrow results by format" A click on this reduced my results
to one library: the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek (!).  So, if I SEARCHED
for _just_ this edition, why is WorldCat's default presenting me with 4
screens of irrelevant nonsense?

Instead of "are we not users" maybe the question should be to the
managers making these bizarre decisions "are you not librarians?"

Lenore

--
Lenore M. Rouse
Curator, Rare Books and Special Collections

PHONE: 202 319-5090
E-MAIL: rouse at cua.edu
RBSC BLOG: http://ascendonica.blogspot.com/