[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Thu May 14 10:57:35 MDT 2015

For OCLC to say their data shows users don't care about IRs seems like a
self-fulfilling prophecy.  Maybe it's a small population, but if indeed "users
who care about copy-specific descriptions generally don’t see OCLC as a
useful discovery tool," that's probably because the copy-specific
information that lives in IRs is not exposed in public worldcat searches
anyway.

We don't create IRs at Columbia, and I'm perhaps too new to know all of the
background behind that, but if the records can't be publicly searched
anyway, it would seem our time is better spent upgrading master records
that are actually visible, and maintaining copy-specific information in our
local Voyager records, where our users, reference staff, etc. are more
likely to find it.

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger