[DCRM-L] OCLC's IR webinar (May 13)

Katy E. Rawdon krawdon at temple.edu
Thu May 14 12:45:32 MDT 2015

As an archivist who has (in my own humble opinion) a good grasp of MPLP and
how it is used for archival collections (and it is used, sometimes quite
heavily and sometimes not) I would agree that it is not applicable to rare
book cataloging, or at least not applicable in the same way.

Or, maybe I can rephrase that. I don't believe that minimal archival
processing can be equated with a lack of creation of copy-specific
information for a book. With minimal processing, there is still the
expectation that the processor/cataloger will pick out any major aspects of
the collection that are particularly unique/relevant/of interest - however
you want to define that. In other words, while the work of processing is
scaled down, *useful information* about what makes that collection of
interest (to whomever might find it interesting) is still expected to be
made available in whatever metadata is created. In the case of rare books,
I believe that copy-specific information falls under that same type of
*useful information*. To stop creating and/or making available information
about what makes our special collections materials
unique/important/relevant seems, to me, rather insane. What I am trying to
say is that I don't believe that with MPLP archivists are doing that insane
thing, and I don't think rare book librarians should be forced to, either.
There may be a rare book equivalent of MPLP that could be created, but if
it is I certainly hope it doesn't jettison copy specific information.

I personally find OCLC's refusal to make copy-specific information easily
and usefully available, and then to claim that there is no interest in
using that information, extremely frustrating.

-Katy

--
Katy Rawdon
Coordinator of Technical Services

Special Collections Research Center

Temple University Libraries

Philadelphia, PA 19122

(215) 204-5250

krawdon at temple.edu

krawdon at temple.edu

***

The Special Collections Research Center (SCRC)
<http://library.temple.edu/scrc> is the principal repository for and
steward of the Libraries’ rare books, manuscripts, archives and University
records. Our reading room is located on the ground floor of Paley Library
and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Due to the unique, rare, valuable and often fragile nature of the items in
our collection, and because they are stored in several locations in the
library as well as the offsite library depository, the use of many of these
materials requires scheduling an appointment ahead of time.  Special
handling is also required, so we ask that you familiarize yourself with our
policies <http://library.temple.edu/scrc/research> designed to provide you
the greatest possible access to the materials while protecting and
preserving them for future use.

Send inquiries to our general e-mail <http://library.temple.edu/scrc/ask>,
or call us at (215) 204-8257.  You may also write us at:  SCRC, Paley
Library (017-00), 1210 Polett Walk, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
19122.  Please include your name and complete contact information, as well
as your specific question.