[DCRM-L] OCLC's duplicate detection & resolution software: two questions for the rare and archival materials communities

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:23:23 MDT 2015

Quick response: the cut-off for books should, if anything, be later, not
earlier. The year 1801 is arbitrary, as much established as it is in
national bibliographies and the like. It seems to be understood as the end
of the "hand-press period", which is historically not the case. For English
books that would be no earlier than 1820, and for some continental books
even later (I see German books of the 1840s printed direct from type on
handmade laid paper, for instance).

But the bibliographical significance of "hand-press" has been great
exaggerated. While printers become more and more adept at covering their
tracks as the c19 proceeds, bibliographical analysis and description are
very much applicable to post-1801 books and post "hand-press" books, for
the most basic of our FRBR purposes: the identification of manifestations,
and, at the most learned level, the specification of diagnostic evidence
for distinction of manifestations, as well as explicit accounting for
evidence of variation within the body of items that constitute a
manifestation.

That said, I suppose--assuming that the exemption of dcrm records from
automatic de-duping continues--the idea is to establish criteria by which
to exempt a range of non-dcrm records as well. Earlier versions of dcrm
tended to emphasize 1801/"hand-press period" as a cutoff for application of
the special rules (and the consequent finer-grained analysis of supporting
evidence and variation), so it it made sense of a kind to specify that
range. As tempting as it is, however, to limit dcrm to hand-press books
because it is easier to analyze and describe them, I know from considerable
experience that post-1801 books printed from plates, perhaps based on
mechanical composition, are equally and more subtly variable.

The whole body of pre-1801 works forms, I presume, a relatively small
percentage of the material represented in the database, though the mass of
duplicate records generated by uploading of incommensurably cataloged
material is considerable. The problem is not so much the conflation of
different manifestations indifferently described, as it is the loss of
information that takes place when merged records are expunged, which
precludes conscious and focused comparison--by catalogers well versed in
the vagaries of legacy and minimal cataloging--as a check on de-duping
errors.

I would be dismayed to see an irreversible process applied to an even
greater range of materials than before. IRs being a lost cause, this would
be mitigated to some extent if records represented in 019 fields could be
preserved for inspection (beyond the current brief grace period) in such a
way as not to impede the operations of the WorldCat as a whole. But as
Francis Lapka pointed out, the regression of the date cutoff does seem to
be a retraction, not an expansion, of safeguards.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>