[DCRM-L] German abbreviations from 1605/1618

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Wed Sep 16 19:33:23 MDT 2015

Ted - “mehr” may be indeclinable today, but this is the (early) 17th century, before German grammar (and vocabulary, and orthography) was regularized - it’s been a while (about 50 years) since I last studied the grammar of early modern German, but I’ve continued to read early texts from time to time, so it doesn’t surprise me to see “mehr’ being declined like any other adjective.  I’d read it more or less as “for the sake of greater accuracy and order” (not the best English perhaps - if I were doing a full translation of the whole phrase, I might be less literal), followed by for whom and then what was done in this edition.  Eric Blackall’s The emergence of German as a literary language (1959; rev. ed. 1978) would be worth a look, if you’re going to be spending time with books of that period.  There are probably more recent and more technical studies, but Blackall is highly readable (full disclosure: it was his course that I took, way back when, so I have a bias).

John