[DCRM-L] crazy signatures

Joseph Ross jross at nd.edu
Fri Sep 25 06:59:26 MDT 2015

Nina,

I seem to remember this as one of the unusual signature patterns of the
manuscript period. The term that comes to mind is "continuous bifolia
numeration."  There is no quire signature but the bifolia are numbered
continuously from beginning to end.  It was not a common practice.  I don't
remember if any printers used it.  Sorry I don't have any references I can
quote.

Joseph Ross
Rare Books Cataloger
University of Notre Dame