[DCRM-L] crazy signatures

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Sep 25 10:02:47 MDT 2015

"Continuous bifolium numeration"--certainly as good a term as any--is
obviously analogous to the direction numbering that one occasionally
encounters in later books. Per Bowers one treats such gatherings as
"unsigned", which is fine if they're isolated pi's or chi's; but because
Nina's example is numbered in a way that could be used for reference, one
searches for a way to incorporate the numbers into a formula.

Maybe (I dunno) 1/2/3-49/50/51^6 52^2? Explanation will be required,
whatever one does, and it could just as well be [unsigned, 1-17^6 18^2],
which tells the structural story very neatly, but doesn't work very well
for reference; and a formula that doesn't refer well doesn't quite fulfill
its purpose.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>