[DCRM-L] crazy signatures

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Sep 25 13:18:10 MDT 2015

To resolve any residual uncertainty in a reader's mind concerning a rather
odd phenomenon (as in "I *think* I know what Nina means"), perhaps it could
be phrased "first 3 leaves of gatherings 1-16 are numbered continuously
from 1 to 51 (1,2,3,x,x,x/4,5,6,x,x,x/ ... /49,50,51,x,x,x); the first leaf
of gathering 17 is numbered 52."

Partly this is because the leaves aren't really "numbered
continuously"--the numbering of leaves isn't actually continuous, but
meaningfully discontinuous (it's bifolia that are being continuously
numbered); but I don't think "numbered cumulatively" resolves the
uncertainty any better, and introducing the term "bifolia" begins to remind
one of origami concentration camp. Better to risk slightly ridiculous
explicitness than to court uncertainty.

Umm... It isn't [1]-[17]⁶ [18]²? Also, though it might seem odd to use "pi"
in a formula that appears to be inferred throughout, I think it's just
right in this context: the bibliographer's system is being substituted for
that of the printer. There are good reasons why this system of "signing"
was very little used ...

FWIW: Is this perhaps an 18mo?

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Schneider, Nina <nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu