[DCRM-L] Color content as attribute of expression

Wed Apr 20 19:31:01 MDT 2016

Thanks, John.

We believe there might be some circumstances in rare materials in which color is properly a manifestation-level attribute. Stay tuned.

D.

From: JOHN C ATTIG [mailto:jxa16 at psu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, 20 April 20 2016 18:49
To: Deborah J. Leslie
Cc: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: Color content as attribute of expression

The designation of Colour Content as an attribute of Expression, rather than Work, was made based on an ALA comment on the revised draft of Chapter 3:

http://www.rda-jsc.org/archivedsite/docs/5rda-parta-ch3rev-alaresp.pdf

The argument is contained in comments on section 3.12 (Colour) beginning on page 26 of the ALA response.

The argument was presented to ALA by OLAC (particularly by Martha Yee), who argued that color is an attribute of the content rather than the carrier, and that the addition to color to a black-and-white image -- or the removal of color from a color image -- results in a new expression, not simply a new manifestation.

Martha's argument was that color was in fact an inherent aspect of the design of an artistic work and that (here was the unstated nub of the issue) a "colorized" version of a black-and-white moving image work should not be considered to be the same work.  ALA felt that the stronger argument was that color was an attribute of content (either work or expression); the JSC was willing to accept this basic argument, but decided that color should be considered an attribute of the expression, not the work.

I believe that Colour is not one of the attributes that is explicitly mentioned in FRBR-LRM, so I think that the RDA decision is likely to stand.  I think we made a strong case that color is not simply the process by which colors are embodied in the manifestation (the FRBR definition), but is a fundamental aspect of the design of the work or expression.  Here the concept of representative expression may be important: expressions that accurately reflect the artist's intended color scheme (if this can be determined) would be considered representative of the work in this regard.

Hope this helps.

John