[DCRM-L] Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (Manuscripts) now available

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Tue Aug 16 19:23:53 MDT 2016

Congratulations to the DCRM(MSS) editorial team on completing the manual!

For others as eager as I am to begin using DCRM(MSS), I thought I should
point out that a descriptive conventions source code (040 $e) was requested
from the MARC Standards Office just after the BSC vote to approve DCRM(MSS)
at ALA Annual in Orlando.

A code has not been announced in the technical notices issued since then,
nor added to the list of codes
<http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/descriptive-conventions.html>, so
I expect that the request is still in review.

If and when approved, I expect it will be announced in an upcoming
MARC technical
notice <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marcginf.html#naa>. These notices typically
request a 60-day embargo on implementation in exchange records, so that the
code can be added to validation tables.

I'll send an update to DCRM-L list as soon as I hear more.

Matt

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Schneider, Nina <nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
> wrote:

> Dear Colleagues:
>
> The Bibliographic Standards Committee of the Rare Books and Manuscripts
> Section of the Association of College and Research Libraries (RBMS/ACRL) is
> pleased to announce the publication of Descriptive Cataloging of Rare
> Materials (Manuscripts). DCRM(MSS) covers individual manuscripts on paper,
> on microfilm, or in the form of digital surrogates. It does not cover
> manuscript music, manuscript maps, or graphics, all of which are covered by
> other DCRM manuals currently in development or already published. This
> manual is the result of the hard work of the DCRM(MSS) editorial team:
> Alison E. Bridger, Diane Ducharme (SAA Description Section liaison), Kate
> Moriarty, Jennifer K. Nelson, Margaret Nichols (chair), Elizabeth O'Keefe,
> and Heather Wolfe.
>
> The PDFs of the text and the cover are DCRM(MSS) is available here:
> http://rbms.info/dcrm/dcrmmss/. They are also available through the list
> of published manuals on the DCRM page http://rbms.info/dcrm/.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> +---------------
> Nina M. Schneider
> Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
>
> Rare Books Librarian
> William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
> 2520 Cimarron Street
> Los Angeles, CA  90018