[DCRM-L] fragments

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Wed Aug 31 09:16:45 MDT 2016

In 2010, DCRM-L hosted an interesting discussion on the cataloging of fragments (or single leaves):
https://listserver.lib.byu.edu/pipermail/dcrm-l/2010-April/thread.html

Themes of that thread included the following:

-          When cataloging a single leaf or fragment, users are better served when we describe it a separate Manifestation (rather than an incomplete copy).

-          It might be useful to create a generic record for the fragment (in OCLC), so that any institution holding a fragment could link their Item to the same Manifestation.

-          It might be nice to establish standard practice for uniform titles for fragments, but existing standards (AACR2 and RDA) don't support access points for Manifestations.

-          The RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee ought to charge a task force to develop guidelines for cataloging fragments.

I wonder if members of the list still agree with all of the above? I think I do. Is there anything in RDA that provides a clearer way forward?

(I have large and splendid collection of 15th/16th century fragments that I'm itching to catalog.)

Francis

Francis Lapka  *  Catalog Librarian
Dept. of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art