[DCRM-L] MARC Advisory Committee papers

Schneider, Nina nschneider at humnet.ucla.edu
Wed Dec 14 12:59:49 MST 2016

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Francis. The questions at the end of Discussion Paper no. 2017-DP05 are interesting and relevant to our community. I think it would be helpful if we could provide feedback.

The questions are:

5. QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSSION

5.1. Is the need to provide the information that a specific institution has added a subject heading according to its rules and regulations to a MARC record esteemed beneficial?

5.2. Does the definition of a subfield $5 in the fields 6XX solve the issue?

5.3. Or is there an existing format element which can be used instead?

5.4. Are there any potential problems that should be taken into account?
There have been times when I've cataloged something and hoped to use a 6xx field to help locate materials on a specific subject. In fact, there are many instances of acquiring certain materials we wouldn't consider otherwise based solely on the subject of one aspect of the manifestation - a mention of Oscar Wilde's tombstone in a book on stonecutting, for example. Our Wilde scholars would like to know that there is information about Epstein's work in an unexpected resource, but aren't interested in in the subject of stonecutting. Since this piece of information is important to us, but not to everyone else, the subfield $5 is one way to handle it...but this information is not copy-specific and I think that it could become confusing for researchers. Librarians and catalogers have become accustomed to understanding subfield $5 as copy-specific, so would adding it to additional 6xx fields cause unnecessary confusion? I know there is (or was) a 69x field for local subject access fields. Perhaps this could be used instead and if there are multiple libraries from the same institution interested in different aspects of a work, they could add their own institution code to subfield $5.

Nina M. Schneider
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee

Rare Books Librarian
William Andrews Clark Memorial Library
2520 Cimarron Street
Los Angeles, CA  90018