[DCRM-L] MARC Advisory Committee papers

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Fri Dec 16 08:06:02 MST 2016

In such a case as this, I would create a separate bib record for the
drawing, obviously including a note regarding its occurrence in another
resource, and link the bib record to the III item record, with a 590 note
in the book record. I also include reciprocal 856 links between the bib
records. That allows for unambiguous allocation of descriptive and subject
information without a lot of explanatory verbiage.

That said, I've always regarded the $5 as an identifier for
institution-specific as well as copy-specific information in the local
record (not the master record). Is it "written" that it denotes
copy-specific only?

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>