[DCRM-L] Maps in Ptolemy, Geographia, 1478 and 1490 (ISTC ip001086000)

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Dec 19 11:31:05 MST 2016

I am altogether puzzled by the fact that the 27 engraved maps that *look* as
if they're each printed on one side of a full sheet and bound sequentially
(and alas, tightly, with some parts of the world lost in the gutter) have
been described in every reference I find as unsigned folio gatherings i-o^8
p^6 -- in BM XVth, BSB-Ink and Bod-inc:

Bod-inc (http://incunables.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/record/P-530): A–C8 D E6 a10
b–g8 h4 [i–o8 p6] 2a b8 c6

I cannot work out how one could print the maps (except those in in the
center sheets) as half maps (half of one map on one half of the sheet, and
half of a different map on the other half of the sheet) and expect the
halves to line up perfectly in the bound book, as they do in our copy.

If anyone can make me smack my forehead and cry "Doh!", I'd be grateful.
Otherwise I have one of those cranky corrective notes to write in a revised
record ...

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>