[DCRM-L] Question about numerical part of a multi-volume work

Gemberling, Ted P tgemberl at uab.edu
Mon Dec 19 19:37:36 MST 2016

I am cataloging the 6th part (actually the 7th) of an 11-volume work. You can see a record for all the volumes at OCLC #808232373. I don’t consider it appropriate to use that record because we only have the one volume. We put signatures on our DCRM(b) records, and I would not have them for any of the other volumes. Also, I can’t verify the transcription for them. So I want to create a record just for our volume. The problem is that the title for the whole set (Galeni omnia quae extant opera) is not on our volume. I tried creating a record like this:

Galeni omnia quae extant opera. ǂn Sexta classis, ǂp eam chirurgi[ae] partem amplectitur, qu[ae] ad cucurbitulas, scarificationes, hirudines, deriuationem, reuulsionem, ac phlebotomiam spectat ...

Is that possible in DCRM(b)? Does it conflict with rule 1B6? 1B6 seems to say do something like this: Galeni omnia quae extant opera. Sexta classis : ǂb eam chirurgi[ae] partem …

Or is that incorrect, too? 1B6 seems to be about a case where the title page (or chief source of information) has the title of the whole work. You transpose it if the name for the part comes first and add a note indicating the transposition. But in my case, I only know the name of the whole work from a bibliographic record in OCLC. Would you state that in the record for the part? Would it have to be in brackets in the 245?

Any guidance you can give will be helpful.

Thanks,

Ted P. Gemberling
Historical Collections Cataloger
UAB Lister Hill Library, rm. 234B