[DCRM-L] binder and binding designer

David Stumpp david.stumpp at chch.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 07:49:33 MST 2016

Hi Francis,

Historically speaking, at least, would not binders frequently, if not mostly, have also been responsible for their designs? If so, it would seem to me that "binding designer" might best be reserved for instances in which the person in question was only the designer, but that "binder" might potentially include both specializations. My experience is primarily pre-1800, though, so please forgive me if my logic doesn't apply to the situation.

Dave

David Stumpp
Antiquarian Cataloguer
The Library