[DCRM-L] binder and binding designer

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Tue Dec 20 08:33:54 MST 2016

I'm not so sure of this. It means that the use of both terms will be the
default when the entity is simply characterized as "binder" or "bound by",
even though it may not in fact be the case that it was the binder who did
originated the design. Unless the source states explicitly that the binding
has been designed and executed by a single entity, I'd simply go with
"binder" alone when that's all that I've been told.

The real function of "binding designer" is, I think, to designate a
designer whose work is realized by someone else. I use it most frequently
for the stated or otherwise known designers of publisher or edition
bindings.

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>