[DCRM-L] binder and binding designer

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Tue Dec 20 09:40:39 MST 2016

My thanks to Richard and David (Stumpp) for putting me back on the fence.

My question is posed in the context of copy-specific fine bindings, made in recent decades, by artisans who at least give the impression of working alone (realizing the entire binding work by themselves). Is binding designer inappropriate in such cases, as Richard suggests?

The RBMS terms await definition. There are defined as follows for the MARC relators:

Binder [bnd]
A person who binds an item

Binding designer [bdd]
A person or organization responsible for the binding design of a book, including the type of binding, the type of materials used, and any decorative aspects of the binding