[DCRM-L] Question about numerical part of a multi-volume work

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Tue Dec 20 11:38:55 MST 2016

For a DCRM(B) record the 245 needs to faithfully transcribe what’s on the title page, which you say doesn’t include “Galeni omnia quae extant opera”. I don’t think 1B6 is contemplating a situation where the main title doesn’t appear anywhere at all on the book. (Unless your copy is imperfect and happens to be missing the page that has “Galeni omnia quae extant opera” on it?)

240 should contain the preferred title for the work (that is, the portion of the authorized access point for the work that follows the authorized access point for the author, everything from the title on), which in this case is “Works. $k Selections (…) …” This aggregate work in volume 6 contains a selection of Galen’s works; since there are lots of aggregate works that contain selections of Galen you need to add a parenthetical qualifier to “Works. Selections” because otherwise the authorized access point for the work will conflict with that of another work (i.e. another set of selections). I find it easier in cases like this simply to dispense with the authorized access point for the (aggregate) work as a whole and instead include access points for the individual works/expressions in the volume (in 700 fields). This seems to me to be RDA’s preferred solution under 6.27.2.3 (“construct authorized access points for each of the parts”), and in my opinion is more helpful to users of the catalog anyway. That’s not always possible (maybe there are 50 works/expressions) but usually it is possible.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University