[DCRM-L] copy-specific dust jacket question

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Tue Feb 2 14:34:27 MST 2016

Hi,

I have in front of me book with a printed dust jacket which reads "The four
fold book cover. Manufactured and distributed by the United States Book
cover company, Tamaqua, Penn." It has a copyright date of 1929, and the
printed material includes blanks on the front for student name, address,
grade, room number, and book title on front, brief Catholic catechetical
statements printed on the flaps and rear, and folding instructions and
guide lines.

I don't believe I've encountered something like this in my cataloging, but
recall seeing something like this for sale in school supply stores (as well
as cloth and plastic varieties), though I usually covered my own school
books with brown grocery bags or gift wrap.

I suspect they are less likely to have been retained than publisher-issued
jackets along the way,  but am curious if others have encountered similar
jackets. If so, could you point me to an example of how you have treated
them?

Besides a copy-specific CV term Dust jackets (Binding), in this case it
also contains provenance information written in the provided blanks (the
book itself is unmarked), so would "Bindings (Provenance)" be appropriate?
Are there other RBMS CV terms that you would assign? Would this warrant a
separate description of the jacket as a printed item?

I don't know if it's specifically relevant, but the book in the wrapper is:
St. Joseph okolakiciye ta olowan [Bismarck, N.D. : B. White, 1919?]. It is
a Catholic hymnal in the Dakota language, part of a small collection of
Native American missionary/catechetical materials from the 19th/20th
century.

Thank you,

Matt

Matthew C. Haugen