[DCRM-L] Collational formula query

Noble, Richard richard_noble at brown.edu
Mon Jan 4 15:23:03 MST 2016

[cc'd to DCRM-L as a nice example of copy-specific evidence that
contributes to information about the manifestation
as a whole.]

Hi Eric,

Having googled to get a face, I do indeed remember you, though I can't
remember which ADB year you were in--but no matter, I remain fair game ever
after, till I'm discarded in the Ultimate Game.

What you've got is a misbound book. The last sheet as printed consisted of
one half containing 2Q^4, the other half being 2†^2 and a blank bifolium (a
gift to the binder: waste paper is valuable, unless you're a binder too
lazy or unobservant to harvest it) . This is useful evidence, and you
should cite it in a general note that describes your copy, e.g. "Gatherings
2†^2 and 2Q^4 machined together as parts of a single a sheet containing a
further blank bifolium: Ohio State University copy misbound with the
undivided sheet at the end." (*No* $5 at the end of the note--it's general.)

A correct ideal copy description (what you owe the catalogue) will simply
have the formula †^4 2†^2 A-2P^8 2Q^4 -- a correctly bound copy does not
require the blank leaves. If you were writing, as I routinely do, a Rare
Book School style collational note, you could append the information to it,
to make a complete structural information note.

This is a nice illustration of the distinction between the issue formula,
giving the structure of a correctly assembled copy, and the printing
formula, representing the book as it stood in sheets before binding.

Anomalous copies like yours are a special treat. I would gladly trade, for
your nice book, the sammelband of early c20 printings of Arabic occult
texts that I'm working on right now. No conundra in that case, just
ignorance trying to cover its tracks. Responding to your inquiry made for a
welcome break.

A Happy New Year, and many happy returns of it, to you.

Richard

BROWN UNIVERSITY  ::  PROVIDENCE, R.I. 02912  ::  401-863-1187
<Richard_Noble at Br <RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU>own.edu>