[DCRM-L] [RBMS] Controlled Vocabularies updates from ALA annual

Dooley,Jackie dooleyj at oclc.org
Thu Jul 7 12:10:05 MDT 2016

A historical comment regarding "Literature of prejudice": the term dates from the very beginnings of Genre Terms and was left intact when I (and others) worked on setting up the hierarchies, including the gathering terms, in the mid-1980s. Never occurred to anyone to change it, but then we were all oblivious to being politically correct (for lack of a better term) at that time-though it's easy to argue that we should have been semantically correct. (By the way, if you dislike any of the other gathering terms, you can blame me! :) )

I agree with Ryan that the AAT definition of "polemic" is too strong, but standard definitions are similar. Merriam-Webster: Polemic: a strong written or spoken attack against someone else's opinions, beliefs, practices, etc.  Polemics : the art or practice of using language to defend or harshly criticize something or someone.

I can't think of a term that would be more appropriate, however.
--Jackie

--
Jackie Dooley
Program Officer