[DCRM-L] RDA revision proposals -- Early Printed Resources and Rare Printed Resources

Will Evans evans at bostonathenaeum.org
Mon Jul 25 13:30:22 MDT 2016

Hi Kate!

I’ve been on vacation, so sorry for this untimely email. See my responses
below:

Ø  2.2.2.2: Would you want to use those sources in that order of preference
for machine-printed materials that are not artists' books?

In addition to artists’ books, I would cite fine press books of the late 19
th into the 20th century as another instance where this list of sources
might be applicable, whether actually printed by machine or hand.

Ø  2.8.1.1, 2.9.1.1, and 2.10.1.1: I think I would not want to consider
booksellers and printers as publishers for later printed materials that are
not artists' books.

Admittedly, booksellers are a bit tricky, but again, I would cite fine
press books as an example where the printer (i.e. the press) can also
functions as the publisher and even the distributor.  DCRM(B) and DCRM(G)
both offer sensible solutions to this conundrum:

*4A6. Elements relating to publication, distribution, etc., vs. elements
relating to manufacture*   [image:
http://desktop.loc.gov/view/17/ESPDCRMB-img-AACR2+button]
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD4B2&hash=1PERIOD4B2&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>
 [image: http://desktop.loc.gov/view/17/ESPDCRMB-img-AACR2+button]
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr21PERIOD4B3&hash=1PERIOD4B3&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>
 [image: http://desktop.loc.gov/view/17/ESPDCRMB-img-AACR2+button]
<http://desktop.loc.gov/search?&view=document&doc_action=setdoc&doc_keytype=foliodestination&doc_key=aacr22PERIOD16A&hash=2PERIOD16A&fq=myresources%7Ctrue>

Consider the wording, layout, and typography of the publication itself when
determining the most appropriate place to transcribe information relating
to the publication, distribution, etc., area. Keep in mind that statements
relating to printing will sometimes be more appropriately transcribed as
elements of publication, distribution, etc., and sometimes as elements of
manufacture.
<http://desktop.loc.gov/view?url=Infobase/store/Infobase/default/82C/CC3/5EC/357/3F9/9BE/3AC/E0E/D8A/7D1/82CCC35EC3573F99BE3ACE0ED8A7D1C4.stream&type=xml&charset=utf-8&filename=%20%7D>

*4A6. Elements relating to publication, distribution, etc., vs. elements
relating to manufacture *

Consider the wording and layout of text in the source when determining the
most appropriate place to transcribe information relating to the
publication, distribution, production, etc., area. In cases where the roles
of publishers, distributors, and sellers are not clearly delimited, a
prominent statement relating to production may reflect the tendency of
producers (printers, lithographers, photographers, etc.) to function as
more than solely manufacturers. In such cases the statement may more
appropriately be transcribed as the element of publication rather than in
the element of manufacture.

Ø  7.17.1.4: This one is tricky. Since it was so much harder to print in
multiple colors during the hand-press period, I can see "early printed
resource" being applied to the "Title and headings printed in red" example.
Then again, if you're describing a machine-printed, non-artist book as a
*rare* printed resource - to provide a more detailed description of the
resource as a physical object - you might want to bring out the fact that
it's printed in multiple colors, in which case "rare printed resource"
could apply to this example instead.

I would use the directive “if considered important for identification and
selection”, and perhaps add the following from DCRM(G):

*5C7. Color characteristics *

 … Distinguish between inherent color and hand-applied color. When in doubt
as to whether a piece is hand-colored, use “color”. Use local notes to
indicate hand coloring added after the material was distributed

The point I would underscore, if it is not already apparent is that I think
we should have the ability to apply a “rare printed resource” exception
regardless of publication date, etc., if that additional information will
assist in the identification and selection process. What makes something
rare can be subjective, depending on an institution and its user groups.

Hope you are well.

Best,

Will

Your idea appealed to me but I came up with a few questions when I applied
it to non-artists' books, later-printed materials. I only occasionally
catalog machine-printed materials, so take this with a grain of salt.

2.2.2.2: Would you want to use those sources in that order of preference
for machine-printed materials that are not artists' books?

2.8.1.1, 2.9.1.1, and 2.10.1.1: I think I would not want to consider
booksellers and printers as publishers for later printed materials that are
not artists' books.

7.17.1.4: This one is tricky. Since it was so much harder to print in
multiple colors during the hand-press period, I can see "early printed
resource" being applied to the "Title and headings printed in red" example.
Then again, if you're describing a machine-printed, non-artist book as a
*rare* printed resource - to provide a more detailed description of the
resource as a physical object - you might want to bring out the fact that
it's printed in multiple colors, in which case "rare printed resource"
could apply to this example instead.

I like the definitions in the proposal. But I confess that I'm stumped as
to how to reconcile them with artists' books (and maybe other materials
that aren't coming to mind right now).

~Kate

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 8:15 AM, Will Evans <evans at bostonathenaeum.org>