[DCRM-L] Odd signature pattern worth a note?

Tue Jun 7 10:49:02 MDT 2016

Amy, this is a typical signing pattern for 19th-century 12mo's in 6's. As you know, the gatherings are formed by the quiring of a bifolium of two leaves within the four-leaf section. Only the first leaf of the gathering and the first leaf of the insertion are signed: the first and third leaves for a 12mo in half-sheet imposition; the first and fifth leaves (with the four-leaf section inserted into the eight-leaf section) for full imposition in 12's.

When signing numerically instead of alphabetically, the first leaf would usually be signed with a number, and the third (or fifth) leaf the number with an asterisk. Here is a primitive rendering of how the leaves are 'signed' and the value we accord them for reference citation:

'A1' =A1 || unsigned =A2 || 'A2' =A3  || unsigned =A4 || unsigned =A5 || unsigned =A6
'1' =11  || unsigned =12  || '1*' = 13 || unsigned =14  || unsigned =15  || unsigned =16

The signature statement would not reflect the actual signing pattern. For example, 500 Signatures: A-T12. You could make a note, but that would be going to a deeper level of detail than is usual in catalog records.

Or you could be Richard Noble, who includes full collation statements in his records. (-;

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger, Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu | 202.675-0369 | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | www. folger.edu | orcid.org/0000-0001-5848-5467

From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Amy Robertson
Sent: Tuesday, 07 June 2016 12:18
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Odd signature pattern worth a note?

Hello all --

I have a book in hand with gatherings of 6 where A3 is marked as A2 and A2 itself is blank. This pattern is followed throughout the book. It is American from 1826. I have made a signatures statement in the record but am wondering if I need to add a note. Any guidance is appreciated.

--
Amy
Cataloging Services Unit