[DCRM-L] RDA's instructions for "Early Printed Recources"

Lapka, Francis francis.lapka at yale.edu
Thu Jun 16 12:01:24 MDT 2016

Before August 1, the RSC Rare Materials Working Group will turn to this list for input on any proposals or discussion papers it submits for review in the 2016 cycle (the current tasks are listed here: http://www.rda-rsc.org/sites/all/files/RSC-Chair-16-2016.pdf). One of the WG's current tasks is a review of RDA's instructions for "early printed resources."

There's a tentative agreement among members of the WG that a number of RDA's exceptions and alternatives for early printed resources need not be limited to *early* resources. Some of these instructions are applicable (and useful) in the description of rare materials from any period. For all of the following, for example, we might remove the limitation on *early*:

1.8  Numbers Expressed as Numerals or Words  -- 1 alternative

3.4.5  Extent of Text -- 6 exceptions

3.12  Book Format

3.21.2.9  Note on extent, early printed resources

If we pursue such changes in RDA, the challenge is to define a category and label to replace "early printed resources," where appropriate. For label, so far we've done no better than "printed special collections resources," a phrase far from loved on the WG.  The definition also presents a challenge, once we lose the chronological emphasis. A circular reference (as in "any resource an agency decides to treat as special collections") is probably not desirable.

I'm keen to hear all suggestions, including those rejecting the premise (if you like).

Francis