[DCRM-L] dates for collection level record

Erin Blake EBlake at FOLGER.edu
Fri May 6 07:56:13 MDT 2016

You might want to take a look at Appendix B of DCRM(G), attached. It has more details and examples of collection-level records because they are much more common in graphic materials cataloging than in book cataloging.

DCRM(G) would express the date in the 260$c as [1777-2013, bulk 20th century] (and not "1900-1999" in the eye-readable field; those years would go in the 008 date fields if you're coding "k" for years of bulk of group in the 008/06. Using "1900-1999" in the eye-readable field can imply a misleading degree of precision to non-catalogers, as if the bulk of the material is evenly distributed between those exact years, as opposed to, for instance, 1903-1998).

Note that there's an erratum to the instructions for formulating the 008 in DCRM(B) Appendix B: there are actually only two coding choices (i and k), and both date fields need to be filled in, even if the entire collection dates to the same year (that is, you'd enter the same single year in both date fields).

Best wishes,

Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323  |  fax +1 202-675-0328  |  www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of silvanan at mptek.net
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 2:35 PM
To: DCRM-L
Subject: [DCRM-L] dates for collection level record

Hi there,
I am working on a collection level record (which I don't normally do) for published material and I was wondering how I could format the date range to reflect the bulk of the collection is from the 20th cent.

[Following the DCRMB) would it be something like:

|c[1777-2013, bulk 20th century]

or

|c[1777-2013, bulk 1900-1999]

Also, if anyone can refer me to quality collection level records as examples, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Silvana