[DCRM-L] Cataloging production outcomes

Allison Jai O'Dell ajodell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 14:45:41 MDT 2016

Having worked on special collections backlog projects at four different
institutions (two academic, one museum, and one specialized research
library) -- I would say that 2,000 items/year/person is about the best that
one can do.  That's a little over 1 book/hour, and assumes that the person
never attends meetings, gets sick, or takes a vacation.

When I worked as a contractor, the agency used an estimate of original
record = 1 hour; copy record = half hour.  It sounds like your staff is
hitting that estimate almost exactly.

At the University of Florida, our time estimates for cataloging rare
material range from 1-4+ hours, depending on what sorts of access are
needed, what research is involved, etc.  Each project/collection is
discussed with its curator to ensure that we're meeting user needs and
institutional expectations.  This also builds transparency regarding
effort/time allocations.

Time estimates for 'general' collections cataloging are given on our
website: http://cms.uflib.ufl.edu/CatDS/ServicesProvided

Hope that helps,
Allison