[DCRM-L] MARC 856 and links to electronic reproductions

Moschella, Jay jmoschella at bpl.org
Wed Nov 2 14:38:51 MDT 2016

I, too, can see the utility of either argument. However, I agree with the Beinecke policy as described by Todd.

In nearly every case, I find that non-BPL 856 links in OCLC records point to online copies that are already fairly easily findable by researchers, either in one of the several subscription databases that we provide access to, or through Hathi Trust/Google Books/Internet Archive. Therefore, I'd prefer to avoid cluttering our bib records with what usually amounts to easily available, but potentially ambiguous data.

I have also found that, with a renewed emphasis on high quality, copy-specific cataloging, our researchers seem increasingly interested in the specifics of the copies that we are describing in our records. They are, in other words, looking for digitized versions of BPL materials specifically. This last bit is only anecdotal, of course, but I find those user trends that I am able to observe to be helpful in guiding decision making.

Jay

Jay Moschella
Curator of Rare Books
Boston Public Library