[DCRM-L] Cataloging production outcomes

David Richtmyer david.richtmyer at bc.edu
Thu Nov 3 08:10:28 MDT 2016

The problem with shoehorning rare book cataloging into production
estimates, like the number of pies rolling off a factory assembly line, is
that rare book cataloging is a *scholarly *activity. It requires research
and often requires the cataloger to acquire some historical information
that s/he did not possess prior to the item in hand landing on the desk.
This seems to be lost on many library directors, who conceive of special
collections cataloging as a clerical activity.

Sometimes a seemingly innocent little book will take an inordinate amount
of time to properly peg, whilst at other times an incunable, because of the
tremendously detailed amount of literature that has been written about same
in the last century, will be a breeze. And I find the distinction between
"copy" cataloging and "original" cataloging to be a bit of an outdated
canard, a relic from OCLC in the 1970s. For example, often I'm forced,
because of the one-record policy, to upgrade a very poor record. This
sometimes takes longer to do than if I had been able to start with a clean
sheet!

You might think because of my "harumph!" about quotas that I'm adamantly
opposed to them. In point of fact I began my career working for a microfilm
company that produced the Early English Books project (now EEBO), and we
catalogers had a quota per day to complete. Though I never saw anyone
disciplined because of not meeting those quotas, I did see the compromises
those records sometimes had because of the policy. The quotas did, however,
keep you focused, and that was a good thing.

So in the end a fine balance has to be struck, and having an enlightened
management that understands both the need for productivity as well as
quality is something that all libraries should strive for.

David

David Richtmyer
Rare Books Cataloger & Jesuitica Librarian
Burns Library, Boston College
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467-3801
617-552-0543