[DCRM-L] Extent question for accordion style item

Estelle Markel-Joyet emarkel-joyet at amphilsoc.org
Tue Nov 8 12:16:42 MST 2016

(First, thank you for using the correct plural of "y'all" - it's a pleasure
to see)...

I cataloged an artist books that was 1 sheet, folded into an accordion. I
used this rule:

"5B14.2. For a publication consisting of a single sheet folded into
multiple panels, include in parentheses a count of the number of physical
panels on one side of the sheet when unfolded. Include both blank panels
and panels containing text or illustrations in the count. Enclose the
number in square brackets. Provide details of the sheet’s layout (including
the numbering of the panels) in a note, if considered important. 1 folded
sheet ([16] panels) Optional note: A folded sheet with 16 panels on each
side when unfolded. All panels are unnumbered. 1 folded sheet ([4] panels)"

BUT, you've individual cards that have been hinged. Are they numbered?
Could you be this vague?:

"1 v. (unpaged)"

from:
5B8. Lack of numbering 5B8.1. If the whole volume is unpaginated or
unfoliated, count the pages or leaves and record the total in arabic
numerals within square brackets. State the total in terms of pages or
leaves, but not of both. Begin the count with the first page or leaf of the
first gathering and end the count with the last page or leaf of the last
gathering, as instructed in 5B3. Count all blank pages or leaves. [104] p.
[88] leaves 5B8.2. Optionally, if determining the total number of pages or
leaves of an unnumbered volume might damage an item in fragile condition,
give one of the AREA 5. PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION 108 Descriptive Cataloging of
Rare Materials (Books) designations used for publications issued in more
than one physical unit (see 5B15.1) followed by “unpaged” or “unfoliated.”

Estelle

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Graham Skinner <skinner at bostonathenaeum.org

--
Estelle Markel-Joyet, MLIS