[DCRM-L] Concern for collocation of Moby Dick artist book

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Thu Nov 10 13:21:44 MST 2016

No, according to 6.27.2 if the part has a distinctive title then that title is the preferred title, and it is not appended to the preferred title for the whole:

100 1_ Melville, Herman, $d 1819-1891, $e author.
240 10 Etymology

In our current practice, since the contents of 240 $a is the same as the contents of 245 $a (in your hypothetical example) you could omit the 240, though there’s nothing wrong with including it.

In the authority record you could certainly have a variant showing the whole-part relationship:

100 1_ Melville, Herman, $d 1819-1891. $t Etymology
400 1_ Melville, Herman, $d 1819-1891. $t Moby Dick. $p Etymology

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602