[DCRM-L] imprint of earlier edition and later edition on title-page

Kaelin Rasmussen rasmussen at bostonathenaeum.org
Mon Oct 10 06:52:20 MDT 2016

Hello all,

I am cataloging a copy of the 1870 edition of S.F. Baird's Birds of North
America in DCRM(B).  The title-page contains the complete imprint of the
original edition, with date, followed by that of the 1870:

Philadelphia : J.P. Lippincott & Co., 1860
[and]
Salem : Naturalist's Book Agency, 1870

DCRM(B) 4C6.4 says "If both the place and publisher, distributor, etc.,
associated with an earlier edition appear together with the place and
publisher, distributor, etc., of the edition being described, transcribe
each publisher, distributor, etc., with the place to which it corresponds"
-- so I think both imprints could belong in the 260, one after the other,
but the intervening date makes me hesitate.

​Can the repeatable $c in the 260 be used to record the two dates?  I would
like to be able to represent what is on the title-page, if possible.

I should add that C.A. Wood's *Introduction to the literature of vertebrate
zoology* (page 218) notes that while the content of the text and the plate
counts are unchanged between the two versions, the 1870 has changes to the
table of contents, plate list, etc. and the plates have been "retouched and
renumbered".

Thanks for any suggestions!
Kaelin Rasmussen

--