[DCRM-L] What Belongs in a Master Record?

Matthew C. Haugen matthew.haugen at columbia.edu
Thu Oct 27 11:46:33 MDT 2016

In this particular case, it appears I'm one of the culprits. I added the
655s with $5 NNC to the master record in error, and have just deleted them.
I didn't touch those from other institutions, though. The $5 NNC 655s and
the corresponding local notes and entries remain only in our local record.

The 700 02 appears to be a variant of the 240 (Sermones de sanctis vs.
Sermones de sanctus); that wasn't my work. It appears I deleted it from our
local copy when I exported it, but did not delete it from the master record.

To the bigger question, I generally avoid putting our local fields in the
master record, but there have been many cases in which I have found local
notes, access points, etc. in the record useful, e.g. when they identify
variants in binding, note the presence of publisher's advertisements which
may or may not be copy-specific, aid in judging the completeness of
copies/sets, or justify/clarify some ambiguity or uncertainty, as opposed
to wading through several institutions' OPACs to find the same.

I delete LC's 051s and 5xx, 6xx, 7xx fields with $5 of of other
institutions locally, but I am wary of OCLC going through and deleting
local fields from master records wholesale, or of catalogers deleting local
fields input by other institutions in the master record.

Rather, I hope the institution has the opportunity to preserve any local
data in IRs and in master records alike in LBD records. And/or, I would
like to see OCLC add the option in the Connexion export settings (which can
currently be set to delete certain fields by MARC tag on export), to also
delete some or all fields if they contain $5 of other institutions on
export, without deleting them from the master record.

Matt

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Harriett M Smith <harriett at uoregon.edu>
wrote:

> The 700 has sanctus rather than sanctis...
>
> Harriett Smith

Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger
102 Butler Library